Grand Tours of Scotland
With a Victorian guidebook in hand, historian Paul Murton travels the country and traces the changes that have occurred since the birth of Scottish tourism 200 years ago.
- S1 E1 - The Romantic IdealHistorian Paul Murton goes in search of "the Romantic ideal" and discovers how Sir Walter Scott played a key role in reinventing Scotland.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $6.99/month
- S1 E2 - The Sporting LifeOn an original 1870s tricycle, Murton travels to Royal Deeside to learn how Scotland’s mountains and glens became a destination for rich gentlemen to test their mettle.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $6.99/month
- S1 E3 - In Search of the Real ScotlandWhen railways spread across the country, tourists ventured for the first time to Scotland’s west coast. Murton takes the Jacobite train to Mallaig and the Isle of Skye.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $6.99/month
- S1 E4 - Mind, Body, and SpiritMurton goes in search of the stunning Highland landscapes that have attracted visitors for the past 200 years with the promise of improving mind, body, and spirit.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $6.99/month
- S1 E5 - In Search of Perfect IsolationMore-adventurous tourists braved the rough seas to travel to Orkney and Shetland, hoping to restore themselves in the peace and quiet of the remote Northern Isles.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $6.99/month
- S1 E6 - Wish You Were HereWhen working people eventually won the right to some free time, most headed not to the romantic Highlands for a holiday but to the seaside.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $6.99/month