Grand Tours of Scotland
With a Victorian guidebook in hand, historian Paul Murton travels the country and traces the changes that have occurred since the birth of Scottish tourism 200 years ago.
- 1. The Romantic IdealOctober 5, 201029minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishHistorian Paul Murton goes in search of "the Romantic ideal" and discovers how Sir Walter Scott played a key role in reinventing Scotland.
- 2. The Sporting LifeOctober 12, 201029minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishOn an original 1870s tricycle, Murton travels to Royal Deeside to learn how Scotland’s mountains and glens became a destination for rich gentlemen to test their mettle.
- 3. In Search of the Real ScotlandOctober 19, 201029minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishWhen railways spread across the country, tourists ventured for the first time to Scotland’s west coast. Murton takes the Jacobite train to Mallaig and the Isle of Skye.
- 4. Mind, Body, and SpiritNovember 2, 201029minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishMurton goes in search of the stunning Highland landscapes that have attracted visitors for the past 200 years with the promise of improving mind, body, and spirit.
- 5. In Search of Perfect IsolationNovember 9, 201029minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishMore-adventurous tourists braved the rough seas to travel to Orkney and Shetland, hoping to restore themselves in the peace and quiet of the remote Northern Isles.
- 6. Wish You Were HereNovember 16, 201029minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishWhen working people eventually won the right to some free time, most headed not to the romantic Highlands for a holiday but to the seaside.
- Paul Murton
- Kathryn Ross
- Content advisory
- Violence smoking foul language