Grand Tours of Scotland
With a Victorian guidebook in hand, historian Paul Murton travels the country and traces the changes that have occurred since the birth of Scottish tourism 200 years ago.
- S1 E1 - The Romantic IdealOctober 5, 201029minHistorian Paul Murton goes in search of "the Romantic ideal" and discovers how Sir Walter Scott played a key role in reinventing Scotland.Free trial of Acorn TV
- S1 E2 - The Sporting LifeOctober 12, 201029minOn an original 1870s tricycle, Murton travels to Royal Deeside to learn how Scotland’s mountains and glens became a destination for rich gentlemen to test their mettle.Free trial of Acorn TV
- S1 E3 - In Search of the Real ScotlandOctober 19, 201029minWhen railways spread across the country, tourists ventured for the first time to Scotland’s west coast. Murton takes the Jacobite train to Mallaig and the Isle of Skye.Free trial of Acorn TV
- S1 E4 - Mind, Body, and SpiritNovember 2, 201029minMurton goes in search of the stunning Highland landscapes that have attracted visitors for the past 200 years with the promise of improving mind, body, and spirit.Free trial of Acorn TV
- S1 E5 - In Search of Perfect IsolationNovember 9, 201029minMore-adventurous tourists braved the rough seas to travel to Orkney and Shetland, hoping to restore themselves in the peace and quiet of the remote Northern Isles.Free trial of Acorn TV
- S1 E6 - Wish You Were HereNovember 16, 201029minWhen working people eventually won the right to some free time, most headed not to the romantic Highlands for a holiday but to the seaside.Free trial of Acorn TV