Grand Tours Of Scotland
2010ÖVER 16 ÅR
With a Victorian guidebook in hand, historian Paul Murton travels the country and traces the changes that have occurred since the birth of Scottish tourism 200 years ago.
- 1. The Romantic Ideal5 oktober 201029minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishHistorian Paul Murton goes in search of "the Romantic ideal" and discovers how Sir Walter Scott played a key role in reinventing Scotland.
- 2. The Sporting Life12 oktober 201029minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishOn an original 1870s tricycle, Murton travels to Royal Deeside to learn how Scotland’s mountains and glens became a destination for rich gentlemen to test their mettle.
- 3. In Search of the Real Scotland19 oktober 201029minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishWhen railways spread across the country, tourists ventured for the first time to Scotland’s west coast. Murton takes the Jacobite train to Mallaig and the Isle of Skye.
- 4. Mind, Body, and Spirit2 november 201029minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishMurton goes in search of the stunning Highland landscapes that have attracted visitors for the past 200 years with the promise of improving mind, body, and spirit.
- 5. In Search of Perfect Isolation9 november 201029minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishMore-adventurous tourists braved the rough seas to travel to Orkney and Shetland, hoping to restore themselves in the peace and quiet of the remote Northern Isles.
- 6. Wish You Were Here16 november 201029minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishWhen working people eventually won the right to some free time, most headed not to the romantic Highlands for a holiday but to the seaside.