Newton's LawSeason 1
After more than a decade of battling to help the less fortunate, Josephine Newton's (Claudia Karvan) suburban law practice is burnt down by a disgruntled, pyromaniac client after Josephine is forced to brief an incompetent barrister to defend his case. Frustrated with both her personal and professional life, Josephine is determined to make a triumphant return to court as a barrister.
- 1. External ForcesFebruary 8, 201753min16+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishAt a hearing for an alleged pyromaniac, consulting solicitor Josephine Newton runs into her old friend Lewis, who offers her a new job at a high-powered firm. A catastrophic event forces Josephine to consider his offer, but she worries about leaving behind her former clients turned colleagues, Helena and Johnny.
- 2. The Butterfly EffectFebruary 15, 201753min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishJosephine is livid when her daughter, Lydia, is arrested for criminal damage at an environmental protest organized by Lydia’s father, Callum. Meanwhile, Josephine represents a transgender teen undergoing hormone treatment against her parents’ wishes.
- 3. Control TheoryFebruary 22, 201754min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishJosephine and Lewis defend a woman accused of murdering her personal trainer after the fitness studio denied her request to break her contract. Insurance investigator Skye visits Helena’s downstairs office in need of a lawyer for her father, but Helena is afraid to take the case to court.
- 4. Uniform MotionMarch 1, 201755min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishWhen a bomb threat causes a stampede at a furniture store that injures a customer, Josephine and Lewis defend the store’s CEO. Office cleaner Zareb requests Helena’s legal assistance after being charged with resisting arrest, but Helena is distracted by calls from her estranged husband.
- 5. Newton’s Law of CoolingMarch 8, 201754min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishHelena recommends a restorative-justice approach to a friend of Johnny’s to mitigate his assault charges. As the firm’s secretary, Jackie, tries to get Josephine in trouble for her involvement with Chatterjee’s downstairs office, Josephine defends her boss, who is embroiled in a custody battle for the family dog.
- 6. The Uncertainty PrincipleMarch 15, 201753min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishAn elderly hospital volunteer accused of kidnapping a Syrian asylum seeker demands Josephine take her high-profile case. Callum comes to Josephine with a co-parenting issue but later needs her and Lewis’s legal help combatting an assault charge.
- 7. Terminal VelocityMarch 22, 201753min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLewis defends a young man facing a burglary charge for breaking into his friend’s house and stealing his sneakers. Josephine and Helena receive a surprise call from the man they believe burned down their old office.
- 8. Equal & Opposite ForcesMarch 29, 201753min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishJosephine and Lewis organize a class-action lawsuit for the participants of a prescription drug trial who suffered dangerous side effects. But with seven plaintiffs and a complicated case, Josephine needs to enlist both the upstairs and downstairs teams to take on the pharmaceutical company responsible.
- ABC Commerical
- Acorn TV
- Amazon Maturity Rating
- 13+ Teens. Learn more
- Content advisory
- Violence alcohol use smoking foul language sexual content
- Supporting actors
- Sean Keenan