Trauma: Life in the ER
In emergency rooms across America, doctors, nurses and medical technicians work 24 hours a day to fight life-threatening injuries. Get an exhilarating look inside these ERs and witness the trials and tribulations of saving people's lives.
- 1. Tough TownOctober 14, 199745minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishUniversity Medical Center in Newark, New Jersey, is a state-of-the-art trauma center. Meet the largely local staff of this ER, learn about the influences that led them where they are, and watch them work.
- 2. Wrong Place, Wrong TimeOctober 21, 199743minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishAutomatic weapons, gang violence and freeway accidents -- mayhem is part of life at the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California. Many of the patients were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The staff makes these situations their work.
- 3. Loss of InnocenceOctober 28, 199743minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishAt Charity Hospital in New Orleans, the staff is on the front lines of a brutal way of life. They treat the shot, stabbed, beaten, abused and neglected who are brought in from the streets of The Big Easy.
- 4. Drawing the LineNovember 11, 199743minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishEach member of the trauma team at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville has their own approach to their work. Meet this diverse group, from the mentoring chief of the ER to the insecure resident.
- 5. One for the RoadNovember 18, 199743minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishWhen people are injured by drunks, it isn't simply an accident. At MetroHealth Hospital in Cleveland, 60 percent of traumas are alcohol related, and more than half are from car crashes. See how the staff deals with their work.
- 6. The Trauma GenerationDecember 2, 199743minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLearn what a typical day's worth of trauma cases are like at University Hospital in Newark, New Jersey. The common thread is that the victims are young and inexperienced in life.
- 7. Working the ERDecember 16, 199743minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishAt the UC Davis Medical Center in Sacramento, California, learn what it takes to be an ER doctor. The skills include dealing with life and death decisions, working in controlled chaos and handling tragedy.
- 8. Muddy WatersJanuary 13, 199843minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishCharity Hospital in New Orleans offers medical care to anyone in need. In a city known for architectural majesty and Southern sophistication, New Orleans has a lesser known face as well, one of poverty and violence.
- 9. Friendly FireJanuary 20, 199843minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishNashville's Vanderbilt University Medical Center is the setting for family drama when victims of domestic violence are treated for life-threatening wounds.
- discovery plus Journeys