Cults and Extreme Belief
Journalist Elizabeth Vargas, alongside former members of controversial organizations, goes on a search to uncover how sects use their influence to prey upon people's desperation and create powerful, destructive belief systems.
- S1 E1 - NXIVMSarah Edmondson brought thousands of people into the multi-level marketing self-help group NXIVM. In October of 2017, she exposed the group as a destructive sex cult and is supporting the criminal prosecution of the cult's leader, Keith Raniere.
- S1 E2 - Jehovah's WitnessesAmy Bril recounts her childhood growing up in the Children of God, a group notorious for pedophilia and "religious" prostitution. Amy and others born and raised in the group are banding together to address a suicide epidemic among fellow survivors.
- S1 E3 - Children of GodAmy Bril recounts her childhood growing up in the Children of God, a group notorious for pedophilia and "religious" prostitution. Amy and others born and raised in the group are banding together to address a suicide epidemic among fellow survivors.
- S1 E4 - U.N.O.I.Growing up in the United Nation of Islam, or UNOI, Elijah Muhammad was forced into child labor and squalid living conditions. Now, he has an opportunity to speak to the FBI in hopes of getting justice for those abused by leader Royall Jenkins' teachings.
- S1 E5 - Unification SanctuaryFormer "Moonie" Teddy Hose wants to alert the public to a gun-obsessed Unification Church offshoot known as The Sanctuary Church in Newfoundland, PA. Leader Sean Moon preaches an extreme gospel featuring his father as "returning Jesus."
- S1 E6 - Twelve TribesDespite their hippie persona and rustic community businesses, The Twelve Tribes have long stood accused of physically abusing children and subjugating women. Ex-member Samie Brosseau works to expose the Twelve Tribes' abusive practices today.
- S1 E7 - FLDSMany believed when Warren Jeffs was sentenced to life in prison for child sexual assault, problems within the FLDS community would be solved. However, it left devoted followers like Norma Richter to fend for themselves in a world they were taught to fear.
- S1 E8 - The Survivors Speak: Part 1Former members of different groups meet to discuss their shared experiences with Elizabeth Vargas.
- S1 E9 - The Survivors Speak: Part 2Elizabeth Vargas continues the discussion with former members of different groups about their shared experiences.