Elizabeth I and Her Enemies
Queen Elizabeth I was one of England’s greatest monarchs, but she spent her life surrounded by enemies. Presenters Dan Jones (Britain’s Bloody Crown) and Suzannah Lipscomb (Hidden Killers) “do a sterling job” (Radio Times, UK) telling this dramatic tale of jealousy, betrayal, and ambition, with Lily Cole (Snow White and the Huntsman) portraying Elizabeth in the key clashes that shaped her life.
Subscribe to Acorn TV for $1.75/month for 2 month(s) and $6.99/month thereafter, or buy
Save on each episode with a TV Season Pass. Get current episodes now and future ones when available.
- S1 E1 - Battle for the ThroneMay 8, 201745minBorn in 1533 to King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth was declared illegitimate when her mother was beheaded. Restored to the line of succession with the help of Henry’s final wife, Catherine Parr, Elizabeth spent years thwarting the attentions of Catherine’s new husband, Thomas Seymour. Later, Elizabeth’s sister, Queen Mary, accused Elizabeth of treason in a plot to take the throne.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $1.75/month for 2 month(s) and $6.99/month thereafter, or buy
- S1 E2 - Enemy WithinMay 8, 201745minElizabeth became queen at the age of 25, but her reign was far from safe. As a high-profile Protestant monarch surrounded by Catholics in Europe, Elizabeth was pressured to marry and produce a Protestant heir, drawing the ire of her Catholic cousin, Mary, Queen of Scots.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $1.75/month for 2 month(s) and $6.99/month thereafter, or buy
- S1 E3 - Death of a DynastyMay 8, 201745minAs Europe was being torn apart in a religious war, Elizabeth faced her greatest threat yet: Philip II of Spain, the Catholic king who built the Spanish armada, the most powerful military fleet in the world. After Philip’s defeat, Elizabeth was adored by her subjects, but there remained one enemy she was powerless to defy: old age.Subscribe to Acorn TV for $1.75/month for 2 month(s) and $6.99/month thereafter, or buy
- Content advisory
- Violence alcohol use foul language sexual content
- Audio languages
- English English Dialogue Boost: Medium English Dialogue Boost: High
- English [CC]
- Chris Holt
- Acorn TV