Mr. Palfrey of Westminster
He describes himself as "just a civil servant." But in the cloak-and-dagger world of the British security services, mild-mannered Mr. Palfrey (Golden Globe nominee Alec McCowen, Travels with My Aunt) is an invaluable player in the spy game. A master of counter-espionage and a spy-catcher extraordinaire, he's smart, discreet, cunning--and likes to do things his own way.His new boss quickly realizes the talents and dangers of the deceptively charming, utterly ruthless Palfrey. Known simply as "the Coordinator" and splendidly played by Caroline Blakiston (Brass, Scoop), she appoints an assistant (Clive Wood, The Lion in Winter) to work with Palfrey but report back to her. As always, however, Palfrey has his own ideas."Alec McCowen plays Palfrey to perfection" (The Times, U.K.) in this stylish British spy series seen on public television and featuring guest appearances by Julian Glover (By the Sword Divided), Leslie Phillips (Chancer), Richard Johnson (The Camomile Lawn), and Deborah Grant (Bergerac).
- 1. Once Your Card is MarkedApril 18, 198450min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishPalfrey's new boss wants him to nail a misfit diplomat whom everyone suspects is spying for the Soviets. But Palfrey believes someone is making the man a scapegoat, and he decides to find out why.
- 2. The Honeypot and the BeesApril 25, 198449min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishA senior official at the defense ministry is carrying on a clandestine affair with a young woman from Czechoslovakia. When the couple disappears, the Coordinator fears a serious breach in state security.
- 3. The DefectorMay 1, 198451min13+SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishThe Coordinator decides to call a press conference announcing the defection of a celebrated Russian author, but Palfrey urges caution. He suspects a trap, especially after the KGB starts to pressure for the author's return.
- 4. A Present from LeipzigMay 8, 198451minALLSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishA stolen Russian icon leads Palfrey to the door of a wealthy industrialist who makes periodic trips to the Eastern Bloc. Why did the man not report the theft? And why is a young East German visiting his home?
- Christopher HodsonPeter Creegan
- Lloyd Shirley
- Acorn Media
- Amazon Maturity Rating
- 13+ Teens. Learn more
- Supporting actors
- Leslie PhillipsRichard JohnsonDeborah Grant