Tales of Irish CastlesSæson 1
Explore the history, legends, and fascinating figures from castles across Ireland in this riveting docuseries that tells the story of the nation through its castles.
Ved at klikke på Afspil accepterer du vores Betingelser for brug.
- 1. The Normans Are Coming21. juni 201444minTV-14UnderteksterEnglish [CC]LydsprogEnglishAfter the Normans invaded in 1169, they introduced the concept of castle building to Ireland. This episode explores some of the country’s earliest Norman castles.
- 2. Don't Mess With a Knight28. juni 201442minTV-14UnderteksterEnglish [CC]LydsprogEnglishIn the 13th and 14th centuries, Norman knights helped alter the landscape of Ireland. Featured locations include Luttrellstown, Kilkenny, Dunamase, and Blarney Castle.
- 3. The Fightback5. juli 201443minTV-14UnderteksterEnglish [CC]LydsprogEnglishAs the Irish clans began to fight back against the Anglo-Norman settlers in the 15th and 16th centuries, tower houses were built for both defense and as family homes.
- 4. A Century of Turmoil12. juli 201445minTV-14UnderteksterEnglish [CC]LydsprogEnglishCastles were at the forefront of the bloodiest century in Irish history. Important strongholds of the 1600s include castles in Limerick, Birr, Kilkenny, and Athlone.
- 5. A Taste for Gothic19. juli 201445minTV-14UnderteksterEnglish [CC]LydsprogEnglishCastles no longer served as military strongholds in the 18th and 19th centuries and instead were adapted into beautiful homes for the lordly and wealthy classes.
- 6. End of The Empire26. juli 201443minTV-14UnderteksterEnglish [CC]LydsprogEnglishThe 19th and 20th centuries were a time of social and political turmoil. Some of Ireland’s most prestigious and historical castles were mostly abandoned or destroyed.