Tales of Irish CastlesSäsong 1
2014ÖVER 16 ÅR
Explore the history, legends, and fascinating figures from castles across Ireland in this riveting docuseries that tells the story of the nation through its castles.
- 1. The Normans Are Coming21 juni 201444minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishAfter the Normans invaded in 1169, they introduced the concept of castle building to Ireland. This episode explores some of the country’s earliest Norman castles.
- 2. Don't Mess With a Knight28 juni 201442minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishIn the 13th and 14th centuries, Norman knights helped alter the landscape of Ireland. Featured locations include Luttrellstown, Kilkenny, Dunamase, and Blarney Castle.
- 3. The Fightback5 juli 201443minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishAs the Irish clans began to fight back against the Anglo-Norman settlers in the 15th and 16th centuries, tower houses were built for both defense and as family homes.
- 4. A Century of Turmoil12 juli 201445minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishCastles were at the forefront of the bloodiest century in Irish history. Important strongholds of the 1600s include castles in Limerick, Birr, Kilkenny, and Athlone.
- 5. A Taste for Gothic19 juli 201445minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishCastles no longer served as military strongholds in the 18th and 19th centuries and instead were adapted into beautiful homes for the lordly and wealthy classes.
- 6. End of The Empire26 juli 201443minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishThe 19th and 20th centuries were a time of social and political turmoil. Some of Ireland’s most prestigious and historical castles were mostly abandoned or destroyed.