Tales of Irish CastlesSäsong 1
2014ÖVER 16 ÅR
Explore the history, legends, and fascinating figures from castles across Ireland in this riveting docuseries that tells the story of the nation through its castles.
Genom att klicka på spela upp godkänner du våra användarvillkor.
- 1. The Normans Are Coming21 juni 201444minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishAfter the Normans invaded in 1169, they introduced the concept of castle building to Ireland. This episode explores some of the country’s earliest Norman castles.
- 2. Don't Mess With a Knight28 juni 201442minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishIn the 13th and 14th centuries, Norman knights helped alter the landscape of Ireland. Featured locations include Luttrellstown, Kilkenny, Dunamase, and Blarney Castle.
- 3. The Fightback5 juli 201443minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishAs the Irish clans began to fight back against the Anglo-Norman settlers in the 15th and 16th centuries, tower houses were built for both defense and as family homes.
- 4. A Century of Turmoil12 juli 201445minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishCastles were at the forefront of the bloodiest century in Irish history. Important strongholds of the 1600s include castles in Limerick, Birr, Kilkenny, and Athlone.
- 5. A Taste for Gothic19 juli 201445minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishCastles no longer served as military strongholds in the 18th and 19th centuries and instead were adapted into beautiful homes for the lordly and wealthy classes.
- 6. End of The Empire26 juli 201443minÖVER 16 ÅRUndertexterEnglish [CC]LjudspråkEnglishThe 19th and 20th centuries were a time of social and political turmoil. Some of Ireland’s most prestigious and historical castles were mostly abandoned or destroyed.