People Magazine Investigates: Cults
Survivors and journalists explore the deeply disturbing world of cults. They reveal the shocking stories of ordinary people who got caught up in a terrifying web of abuse, deception and manipulation.
- S1 E1 - Tony Alamo MinistriesInitially, the Alamo Christian Foundation held hope for a better society. However, when Susan Alamo dies of cancer, husband Tony reveals his dark side, turning his anger on his followers and taking multiple child brides.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S1 E2 - Jonestown MassacreIn the late 1950s, Jim Jones founded the People's Temple to help those in need. By 1975, he was setting up a utopia called Jonestown. However, the utopia quickly turns into a hell as Jones spirals deeper into his own paranoia.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S1 E3 - Word of LifeThe Word of Life Church starts as a bible study group led by Pastor Jerry Irwin. After his death, his daughter Tiffanie gains control. Hopes for a kinder church are dashed, and brutal beatings lead to the death of a teenage boy.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S1 E4 - Yahweh NationYahweh Ben Yahweh is a respected religious leader in the 1980s, but he rules his followers with terror and violence. One survivor shares the story of this leader, whose ruthless tactics ruined hundreds of lives and left 14 dead.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S1 E5 - Army of GodDeborah and Jim Green describe themselves as generals in a holy army for God, and their harsh rule has destroyed families and lives. Survivors reveal how the Greens transformed from charismatic hippies into militant cult leaders.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S1 E6 - The Nuwaubian Nation of MoorsLeader Dwight York attracts people to his organization that weaves ideas of black power with traditional Islamic doctrine. Over time, the doctrine changes, and followers become disillusioned after discovering his true colors.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase