Our America with Lisa Ling
Join Lisa Ling for the most powerful season of all as she covers topics from gun violence, ADHD in American families, and the LA foster care system, to criminal informants, the new HIV epidemic, and the emotional story of a woman held captive for months.
- 1. Fighting SatanMay 29, 201442minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishOver 70% of Americans believe the devil is alive and well, and there's a growing movement in churches to fight him head on. Lisa Ling visits ministries that practice deliverance: calling upon the power of Christ to cast out demons from tortured souls.
- 2. Transgender Lives: 3 YearsJune 5, 201442minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishThree years ago, Lisa Ling explored the very private worlds of four different transgender people across America. Now, she revisits each of them on their journeys of transformation -- from the sex they were born to the one they feel they really are.
- 3. The ADHD ExplosionJune 12, 201442minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLisa Ling explores ADHD, one of the most disputed and misunderstood medical conditions today. She joins three families in their journeys through diagnosis and treatment, and asks herself if she might have it, too.
- 4. Criminal InformantsJune 19, 201442minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLisa explores the world of criminal informants, untrained civilians who perform undercover operations for law enforcement. By targeting the vulnerable, are police coercing citizens into risking their lives despite uncertain and often deadly circumstances?
- 5. Black America Silent EpidemicJune 26, 201442minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLisa Ling explores why the HIV rate is disproportionately high among African-Americans, looking at the social and economic forces driving the epidemic. She meets HIV-positive men and women fighting both the stigma and the disease.
- 6. Children of the SystemJuly 3, 201442minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLos Angeles County's foster care system is the largest in the country. Lisa investigates what happens to a child after they've been removed from their family, the actions parents take hoping to reunify, and how the system is holding up under the strain.
- 7. Under the GunJuly 10, 201442minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLisa Ling travels to Philadelphia, a city where seven people are shot each day, to meet the crusaders who are determined to end gun violence on their streets. As the activists battle on, Philly's citizens hope and pray that together, they can find peace.
- 8. Labeled for Life: Part 2July 17, 201442minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLisa Ling travels back to Texas to see how 18 months on the sex offender registry has affected a man on the cusp of a major break in his case - one that could mean the end of parole and a reprieve from a lifetime on the registry.
- 9. Teen Mom Nation: 2 Years LaterJuly 24, 201442minTV-PGSubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishIn Season 2 of Our America, Lisa Ling met four very different pregnant teens, all forced to grow up too fast. Two years later, she revisits Latanya and Sophie to see how their youthful decisions on motherhood have changed their lives.
- 10. The MissingJuly 31, 201442minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishLisa Ling explores the world of missing persons, meeting a woman in Philadelphia who is struggling to recover from a notorious kidnapping and a mother in Washington, DC, trying to keep the hunt for her missing daughter alive.
- 101. Special Report: God and GaysJune 20, 201342minTV-14SubtitlesEnglish [CC]Audio languagesEnglishIn this special follow-up report, Lisa Ling digs into the history of the controversial "ex-gay" organization Exodus International and reveals the latest, and perhaps last, chapter of Exodus: a confrontation that may shake the ministry to its foundations.
- discovery plus Inspiration