People Magazine Investigates: Cults
Survivors and journalists explore the deeply disturbing world of cults. They reveal the shocking stories of ordinary people who got caught up in a terrifying web of abuse, deception and manipulation.
- S2 E1 - Children of GodProphet David Berg attracts thousands of followers as the Children of God cult spreads through communes. But his free love message turns sinister, espousing prostitution, sexual abuse of children and violence in prison camps.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S2 E2 - Manson Family MurdersIn the late '60s, Charles Manson entices dozens of young women to live with him in a California desert commune. The facade breaks when Manson orders his followers to commit a string of gruesome murders.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S2 E3 - Heaven's GateIn 1997 Heaven's Gate leader Marshall Applewhite convinced 39 people to follow him to their graves. The world knows the event as the largest mass suicide on US soil, but for followers it was a strategy towards catching a UFO.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S2 E4 - The Sinful MessiahIn 2014 a severed human leg draws attentions to The Work, an apocalyptic cult. Known as the Sinful Messiah, Julius Schacknow declares total devotion and terrible sacrifice as the only way to achieve eternal salvation.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S2 E5 - The Movement of GodCharismatic preacher Sam Fife inspires a worldwide network of Christian groups. To prepare for the apocalypse, members renounce everything to move to the wilderness where they're subjected to beatings, exorcisms and brainwashing.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase
- S2 E6 - Word of FaithLost souls go to North Carolina, where they're promised deliverance from demons by Pastor Jane Whaley at the Word of Faith Fellowship. But deliverance comes at a price, including beatings, medical horrors and psychological abuse.Subscribe to discovery+ or Max or purchase